The 5 Best Hammock Brands
As the weather starts to warm up, it’s time to kick back, relax, and enjoy the outdoors. And there’s no better way to do that than with a portable hammock you can take with you and set up anywhere. Want to sleep under the stars on your next backpacking trip? Tired of sitting on the ground at the park or sleeping on the ground at the campsite? Want to catch some z’s on a warm day in your backyard?
Here are the 5 best hammock brands that can take your backyard relaxation and backcountry camping to the next level.
Tom Hennessy’s original hammock was inspired by a WWII surplus U.S. Army jungle hammock that he used on biking trips in the Appalachian Mountains as a teenager. These tents are great for backpacking and camping.
Fans of Hennessy Hammocks particularly enjoy the ability to sleep nice and flat by laying diagonally in the hammock, as opposed to the banana shape most hammocks put you in (in technical terms they call this an asymmetric design). Their hammocks come with built-in, removable rainfly’s and mosquito nets, which means you won’t need a tent ever again. Unlike most hammocks, you enter a Hennessy through a slit in the bottom, and, once you’re sitting in the hammock, your body weight causes the slit to close.
Here are the main models in the Hennessy range:
- Expedition Series – Each of Hennessy’s series come in a classic and a zip. The zip is more expensive, but comes with a zip closure as opposed to velcro. Both weigh 2.75 pounds, perfect for backpacking trips. This series is Hennessy’s best seller.
- Explorer Deluxe Series – These hammocks are a foot longer than the Expedition Series, so they work best for people who need more room. The classic weighs 3.1 and the zip version weighs 3.73 pounds.
The Hennessy products aren’t the cheapest on the market, but they’re worth it if you plan on camping in extreme conditions or using your hammock frequently.
Kammok was started in 2011 after founder Greg McEvilly’s hammock ripped on a backpacking trip. He wanted to make a quality hammock while also giving back to the community. 1% of Kammok’s profits are donated to Explore Austin, a charity that helps deserving youth by taking them on outdoor adventures.
Customers love that Kammoks are comfortable and easy to put up. These are quality hammocks that you can use at any level. Kammok sells rainfly’s and nets separately, so you don’t have to pay extra for something you might not need. It seems from their reviews that they are constantly listening to their customers and updating and improving their products.
Here are a few from the Kammok range:
- The Roo – This hammock is made with Kammok’s custom-built LunarWave fabric. This fabric is breathable, has less stretch, is lightweight, and is water and fade resistant. The Roo can hold up to 500 pounds which makes it one of the strongest hammocks out there. It also comes with 8 gear loops. This is a high performing camping hammock, so it’s more expensive than other, less durable ones.
- The Wallaby – This is Kammok’s less expensive option that would be great for more casual hammockers. The Wallaby is extremely lightweight – 10 oz. This model also comes with 6 gear loops.
- The Sunda – If you’re looking for an even more versatile hammock, Kammok is currently taking preorders for their Sunda model, which can convert into a 2-person tent, an all-in-one hammock, a simple shelter, or a solo hammock.
Overall Kammok sells environmentally friendly, high-quality hammocks that can work for any type of adventurer.
Bear Butt is a startup company that claims to have the same quality hammock as the other guys but at half the cost. The company started in 2015 after the founder realized that hammock companies were overcharging for their products.
The main draw for this brand is the price point, but customers say the quality is just as good, or even better than, other, more expensive brands. Bear Butt’s customer service is quick and reliable at answering questions and solving issues. These hammocks are easy to use, lightweight, and durable.
- Bear Butt Hammock – Bear Butt only has one hammock model, but it does come in a variety of colors and can fit two people. It’s an inexpensive, no frills hammock that is nonetheless durable, and great for lots of different adventurers. This hammock weighs 1.6 pounds, so it’s light enough to take on your next backpacking trip.
If you’re looking for a hammock that’s simple, easy to use, high quality but still inexpensive, this is the brand for you.
Grand Trunk started when two friends met in a small surf town in Thailand. They shared a love of travel and adventure, so they started a line of travel gear in 2001. Grand Trunk has been in the travel hammock business for longer than some of the companies on this list, so their products are tried and tested.
These hammocks are made out of parachute nylon. They are extremely lightweight, packable, and durable. Customers also love that these hammocks come in a variety of colors and patterns, so if you’re all about the style, this brand is a great option. This is one of the most comfortable hammock brands for overnight sleeping.
Here are the two main Grand Trunk hammocks:
- Double Parachute Nylon Hammock – This is one of the biggest double hammocks on the market. It’s lightweight, and it packs up small and easily. It’s 1.07 pounds, so you can take it anywhere. If you’re using it alone, it’s big enough to wrap around yourself to keep bugs out.
- Skeeter Beeter Pro Mosquito Hammock – This model comes with the net attached, so you don’t have to buy extra equipment or bring an extra sack. Because of the net, the hammock packs up bigger than the Double Parachute, and it weighs 1.8 pounds. If you want to use the hammock without the net, you can flip it over.
These hammocks can be used in the backyard, the backcountry, and anywhere in between. If you want a hammock that stands out from the crowd, this is the one for you.
Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO)
ENO, founded by two brothers in 1999, was the most popular travel hammock brand for a long time. Even though other brands are starting to take a larger chunk of the market, ENO is still one of the most popular for any type of adventure.
Customers love that ENO works to give back to their community. They make several charity-specific hammocks, and they donate 10% of the proceeds from those hammocks to the charity they represent. Customers also enjoy the large amount of colors and styles available. ENO offers more accessories than any other brand, like a Bluetooth speaker that can hang from a chord over the hammock.
Here are two of ENO’s models:
- DoubleNest Hammock – This model weighs 2 pounds and can support 400 pounds. It can fit two easily, or be really roomy for one. This hammock comes in 48 different color combinations, so there’s something for everyone.
- JungleNest – This model has a mosquito net attached. There’s a full zipper running along the side for easy entry/exit, but if you plan on getting wet, you’ll still need to buy a rainfly. It weighs 1.8 pounds and is just a single person hammock.